Posts tagged painting
Posts tagged painting
i hope this is readable omg
yea take this with a grain of salt because granted half the time i have no idea what im doing and yea
step by step explanation of this
A quick tutorial on how I paint (mostly angular) shaped objects in a BG.
My abysmal painting process.
Some steps to my recent painting, done from scratch in photoshop.
I tend to just paint in one layer so I don’t have as many steps to show as I’d like to be more helpful, i’ll try to include more painting steps next time! But overall, it’s just increasing stages of refining your painting.
I only use a couple brushes. A chalk brush for all the painting, on about 60% opacity. A small hard brush for details such as eyebrows, eyelashes and eye shine. And in this case, a grunge brush to get that sketchy effect on the final picture.
A video showing my art progression from 2002-2013. I tried to put them in order as much as possible.
Things to take away from this:
- Back up your shit (losing years of art is devastating)
- Hard brushes can really accelerate progress
- Improvement is a result of many things, one of which is persistence. It doesn’t matter if you think it’s crap, it is still a form of progress.
- Failure is a matter of perspective. Many of these I considered failures at the time, but now with a different set of eyes, can see their potential. So don’t throw anything away, you can use it later.
- Don’t wait for things like style or technique. Start drawing now. They will fall into place. What’s important is to sketch every day, even if it’s something brief.
- Lemon Jelly ‘79 (aka the Shouty Track) is a great song.
I’m considering making some video tutorials on digital painting for beginners. If this interests you, send me a note and tell me what you’d like to learn! Thanks.
Quick an’ dirty tutorial on how to create that car paint metal shading, for anyone who’s interested. It’s easier than it looks, it just takes some tricksy use of Photoshop’s layer blending modes. This was done in PS CS5, though it should work in just about any version.
This should work with any color using the same principles. Once the base is done, dirt and damage can be used to add some wear and tear, either painted by hand or taken from grunge maps.