Posts tagged face
Posts tagged face
i did a super quick facial expression tutorial cuz people suggested it
Quick basic proportion tips for drawing more realistic cartoon faces:
1) The eyes are halfway between the top of the head and the chin. Not the hairline, this is not the top of the head, the peak of the head is a point farther back, hidden in the hair. The tops of the ears usually line up with the eyes, although ears vary in size on different people.
2) The bottom of the nose is halfway between the eyes and the chin.
3) The line of the mouth is 1/3 of the way between the bottom of the nose and the chin. Not half. It’s easy to feel on yourself if you put your fingers to the bottom of your nose and the opening of your mouth, and then from your mouth to your chin, you can feel the distance is much greater for the second measurement. In this particular drawing he’s opening his mouth so the distance is a bit more.
4) The corners of the mouth usually line up to the vertical halfway point of the eyes. (This would be a mouth at rest. A smile can go further.)
5) The eyes are one eye width apart.
These are are just the basic averages, obviously many faces are different but this is the general art standard for making basic anatomical decisions. Note that I don’t make a chart like this when I’m drawing (although I usually draw an eye line), mostly it kind of comes by feel as long as you’re aware of where things are. If something looks off to you, check the measurements. Usually when a face is not working for me, it’s because I’ve placed the lips or nose too low.
And of course, all of this can be disregarded if you’re making more silly looking cartoons. But knowing how a more real version works can help inform decisions when you’re going nuts with style, I especially find that even if I draw big eyes, I still keep them one eye width apart in general.
My first time doing anything like this. I hope it helps!
Freakin love proko
Derp derp, there ya go guys.
Here’s some tips, of course nothing professional, but things I’ve learned myself.
Hope it helps some of you guys. ovo