Posts tagged Tablet
Posts tagged Tablet
So, you put your Windows computer to sleep for the night. You come back the next day all eager to wake it up and put it right to work on that thing you’ve been working on and ….
Oh no, this won’t do at all — you’ve seemed to have lost all pressure sensitivity and high resolution tracking! Well, you figure, why not go check the driver settings. Maybe it’s just groggy and needs a little morning reminder? You go to your Control Panel, click on Wacom Properties Configu—-
Ah. Well then. Isn’t this interesting?
Now, you figure, there’s only one way to recitfy this: save your work, close all your programs, and do a full system restart. What a fun time this is.
But HOLD ON! There’s another way yet! Try this out first before pulling the plug:
Open your Start menu (or press the Windows Key) and simply type “Services”. There will be an icon at the top of your list which appears to be two small gears with the name “Services.” Double click that and look what happens next:
Scroll down the list and select “Wacom Professional Tablet Service" from the list of services and click the little "Restart" link in the column to the left. Now simply wait for the service to stop and start itself back up again!
If for some reason, clicking this little “Restart” button makes matters WORSE, the failsafe approach is the manual restart. Double click the “Wacom Professional —” service and a window will pop up.
Manually stop the Wacom driver by clicking the clearly marked button. Wait for it to shut down, then start it back up again when the button becomes visible. Once restarted, click OK!
Test your Tablet now in Photoshop. You may have your pressure sensitivity fully restored!
IF NOT, well then simply close and reopen Photoshop, which will be nice and quick since it (and your work) are still loaded into recent memory. It surely beats having to restart the whole computer!
Now, providing you’ve done it correctly, (really now, how could you not,) you should find your Wacom’s pressure and tracking sensitivity fully restored! AND you’ll have access to the Tablet Properties config app once again!
Celebrations! For discovering such a wonderful little time saver.
Edit: POINTS! to konirathax.
I’ve been doing this a while now and it surely does beat having to restart my slow-ass PC.
What I want to know is why the hell this is an issue to begin with, and why isn’t there a way to permanently fix it >8C *glares at wacom*
A.K.A. “Pato is autistic and shows off his massive collection of saved links”
Have a seat, get a cup of coffee and sit through this. Hopefully you won’t regret it. This is mostly about illustration, by the way.
FREQUENTLY ASKED BULLSHIT
- “WHICH TABLET SHOULD I BUY?”
Get the cheapest shit available. If you’re in America/Europe a Wacom Bamboowhatever apparently does the trick. If you’re anywhere else get the cheaper-end Genius ones because Wacom tablets are expensive in every place that’s not the first world. Getting a $600 tablet will not make you magically improve and it’s a goddamn waste of money. Too poor for tablets? Start with a damn pencil.
- “POORFAG HERE, CAN’T AFFORD PHOTOSHOP/SAI, WHAT THE FUCK DO I DO?”
This is the Internet, pirate the shit out of them!Here’s a list of freeware programs you could use, because pirating is bad, mkay.
For general illustration:
- GIMP - Non-shitty, open-source Photoshop Clone.
- Paint.NET - If you are somehow too dumb for Photoshop clones here’s something easy to use.
- Flowpaint - Even simpler.
- Inkscape - Apparently good for things like vector art.
- Artweaver - Get the free version which kind of sucks but otherwise decent.
- Chibipaint -
Sounds weeaboo as fuckThe best thing out there for oekaki, or so they say.
- Will add more as I find them.
For 3D modelling and such:
- Sculptris - 3D sculpting for dummies
More links coming SOON! (Soon: Duke Nukem Forever).
- “I’M TOO MUCH OF A FAILURE I WILL NEVER IMPROVE”
Spoilers: Improvement will take a long time, specially more if you’re self-taught. Improvement requires dedication and consistenct in your learning. Don’t expect to get great if you’ve just started, and don’t expect greatness in the first year or so either. Save the shit you draw so in the future you can notice that progress has indeed been made.
If you still think you’ll never improve just look at this and realize how wrong you are. Now, if you think you’ll instantly be as cool as that guy, look at this and realize that you still have a long way to go.
- “I HAVE ARTIST’S BLOCK WHAT DO”
Artist’s Block is a very complicated thing but the underlying reason is either lack of creativity, acedia or just a towering pile of bullshit. The best way to treat it is to take up theoretical drawing (anatomy studies, for example) and treat it as a chore. If you need ideas look for the Ideas Generators section below.
NOW, ONTO THE ACTUAL LIST THING.
All links taken without permission but I’m sure nobody minds a bit of publicity.
- /ic/’s Recopilation - A 4.2GB books torrent. FUCKING GET IT. (The torrent description also has a list for more books, check those out too)
- Another comprehensive torrent - This one is over 5GB. It’s literally considered the Holy Grail and you should also get this if you can.
- Conceptart’s Recopilation - More art books.
- Why can’t I, hold all these books? - ~75 more books yo.
- LOOMIS LOOMIS LOOMIS LOOMIS
- The New Drawing on The Right Side of the Brain - A must have in artsyfartsyfaggy circles. It’s also in the torrents.
- Burne Hogarth’s Dynamic Anatomy - Pretty sure it’s in the torrents but I know somebody will ask for it separately.
- Eliot Goldfinger’s Human Anatomy For Artists - Another well-known book about anatomy.
- MORE BOOKS JESUS CHRIST WHERE ARE THEY COMING FROM
- OKAY THESE ARE THE LAST BOOKS I’LL LINK I SWEAR
This is actually more than enough to get you started when it comes to getting books. Saying that the amount of books here is FUCKING MASSIVE would be an understatement.
A PRACTICAL APPROACH TO GESTURE DRAWING
- The Drawing Script - Selects from a database random images of animals, people, scenery, faces, etc.
- Figure & Gesture Drawing Tool - Read above.
- Posemaniacs - Poses IN ASTONISHING 3D MOFOS. Apparently criticized for not showing correct muscle movement, but otherwise okay for static stuff.
- Keep this in mind while gesture drawing.
Simple practice method for the aimless artfag: Open any of the first two links, and choose a distinct category (For example, faces). Tell it to switch every 10 minutes if possible; else, get a timer. Fire it up and start drawing what you see. The idea is that you should stop after 10 minutes and move onto the next one, no matter how incomplete it is. Repeat until your art gets showcased in the Louvre.
COLOR THEORY AND MISCELLANEOUS COLORING FOR THE MASSES
- Mandatory Conceptart.com link about Color Theory - These guys are so awesome I can’t even begin to explain.
- The Dimensions of Colour - Light, shade, and COLORS explained in a non-horrible yet convoluted way.
- Light and Color by Itchy Animation - Perhaps not as convoluted as the one above. Still decent.
- How I see color - Not mine, obviously. A quite lengthy dA tutorial in Flash.
- Example dA way on coloring - Needs some knowledge about Photoshop.
- Coloring Tutorial@dA - Read above, this one is much more comprehensive and pretty.
- Color is Value - Handy as a tips reference, not much else really.
- Celshading for weeaboos by weeaboos - COMIC SAAAAAAAANS
- And yet another Coloring Tutorial!
- Color Scheme picker - If you’re too dumb to pick colors this does the job.
ANATOMY AND GENERAL HUMAN BODY STUFF
- Drawing the Head - Ron Lemen at (obviously!) Conceptart.com.
- HANDS HANDS HANDS at Posemaniac - FUCKING HANDS HOW DO THEY WORK
- Dragon Paint Art Tutorials: Human Body - A quick, yet extremely incomplete nosedive into drawing the body.
- The Big Guide into Drawing the Body - A technical kick in the balls, yet comprehensive enough.
- Basic pose and construction in Figure Drawing - Conceptualizes the shape of the body from stickfigures to 3D shapes and then holy dongs it’s a human body.
- Kitten-chan’s Body Tutorial - Don’t let the name fool you.
- Understanding Anatomy - The “Anatomy for Dummies” of deviantArt. Must see.
- I’ve got to Hand it to you - Great hand tutorial based on the concept of drawing organic figures out of 3D shapes.
- How do I drawed hair lol - Hardly complete or good, but decent as a quick guide.
- Why can’t I hold all these Conceptart.com threads - Great to test waters in the wonders of perspective.
- Perspective and Composition - dA tutorials, dA tutorials errywhere.
- Perspective by Sashas - THE TUTORIALS WILL NEVER STOP THE TUTORIALS WILL NEVER STOP
- /hr/@4chan - High resolution images. We’re all grownups here, so you shouldn’t worry about tits.
- Photo Reference for Comic Artists - Self-explanatory.
- Senshistock@dA - A deviantArt account just for the sake of uploading references for the glorious proletariat.
- Tasastock@dA - Pretty much the same as above.
- Metlys@dA - Ditto.
- Tursiart@dA - Ditto, more oriented at medieval stuff.
- /ic/’s reference collection - Recopilaception.
- Artsyposes - POSES POSES POSES
- Lackadaisy’s Expressions - Cats or no cats, this is extremely handy.
- Lockstock@dA - Nude references and shit.
- Nude pics errwhere
LOOSE BUNCH OF VARIOUS CRAP
- /ic/ Thread 1 - Collection of tutorial images.
- /ic/ Thread 2 - Humongous thread with a crapload of links. A must-see.
- Manga to Realistic (dA) - A Twelve-Part walkthrough that dips your toes into realistic illustrations aimed at people with a weeaboo background.
GENERAL ART WEBSITES AND TUTORIALS
- /ic/’s Resource Site - To be honest most of the stuff in here was taken from this place, but there’s also a pile full of more useful things there so check it out too.
- Iconnucrit’s Resources - Down at the time of this writing, but decent from what I remember.
- How to Draw 123 - Too much information doesn’t hurt I guess.
- Oh Conceptart you card - So many tutorials!
- Improvement Center @ dA - Gallery of things that will help you… well, improve.
- Tutorial House @ dA - Read above.
- Stanislav Prokopenko’s Tutorials - Guy’s an instructor or something.
- The Penciling Tutorial - A quite famous tutorial on “how do I penciled lol”
- Lineart by Sashas - This guy is bloody famous or something.
- How to Speedpaint - I don’t quite agree with this but it seems to work for others.
TEXTURES, BRUSHES AND ALL THAT JAZZ
- CG Textures - Massive collection of free textures. Also tutorials.
- Conceptart.com - These guys are fucking sweet.
- DeviantArt - Well, think about it. It is an art community after all.
If you want me to add something, please notify me through my /ask. Be sure to check back often as I’ll be adding more things.
tSo, with Christmas around the corner, I’d like to spread word about this magnificent device here called the Motion Computing LE1700. What is it, exactly? Well, it’s a computer, obviously, but what makes it unique is its screen works just like a Wacom. Yup, this thing is its very own Cintiq, only it’s a computer itself — so no hassling around with hooking it up to another computer.
How good is it?
Put shortly; GOOD. very impressive for how old this thing is. It was originally released in 2007 running Win XP, but can be upgraded to Win 7 like mine. It runs beautifully considering its age, and it does well with Photoshop, SAI and especially Sketchbook Pro. I’ve been using this thing for nearly a year and it has yet to let me down.
That said, lets take a look at the specs (or you can go here to fill yourself in, but I’ll go ahead and point out the things an artist would want to know).
Yes, the stylus has pressure sensitivity — 256 points to be exact. That’s a little below the standard Wacom, but it’s hard to see the difference in my opinion. Currently, my LE1700 boasts a 30GB HDD and 2GB of RAM, though it can be upgraded to greater heights. The screen resolution is pretty damn spiffy, too (1400x1050). You can also find them with a special “View Anywhere” screen, though that jacks the price up pretty high. It depends on where you get this baby and who refurbished it. I got mine from a refurbishing company called U.S. Micro on Ebay for around $459.99. They seem pretty legit.
The downside to these pieces of hardware is their shitty battery lives. You’ll at most get an hour if you’re lucky. It sort of defeats the purpose of it being portable, but you can attach a battery extension. It also gets very hot, but with how cold it is now, it works well as a lap-heater.
Keep in mind that these are discontinued, so you’ll most likely have to settle for a used one, but don’t let that deter you. These things are a gift from God to artists everywhere. They are your personal, compact, intuitive and beautiful computerized sketchbooks, and you’ll always want to keep drawing with them.
Check out the crap I’ve made with it here if you wish, or go write this baby down on your Christmas wishlist. Good luck, and keep striving!
(Oh, and I might as well add; if you want to know something about this, just ask me a question. I know a shitton about this thing.)
After spending a week with the 6.25“x10” Monoprice, my Yiynova and Cintiq remain unplugged and I gave my Intuos away to a friend. The Monoprice tracks subtle pressure variances and small movements with less lag and more crisp fidelity than any of the others. It is, put crudely, fucking awesome, in both OSX Lion and Windows 7 x64.
Hmm. I have to say it does look very slick.
Just 4 more $5 Amazon giftcards until I can get my tablet!!
I wish I had thought to save up my giftcards before, because I counted them all up and since I first started Swagbucks I have earned over 100 dollars!
I think I am a living Swagbuck ad. Haha.
So I really want a digital pen tablet, and they are expensive for someone with no income. (I actually need to get a job, but I live in a place where jobs are hard to come by. Stupid Upstate New York, Curse you!)
I am trying to earn it using online reward sites, and it is slow coming! So I am putting my refural links here, so you can help me, and earn rewards yourself!
Swagbucks! - This one is best. I have earned over 50 dollars in Amazon giftcards. It’s quick and easy, and completely legit.
Instantcashsweepstakes! - I have just joined this one, and I am already earn lots! It’s easy, and even quicker then Swagbucks!
I hope you will consider joining these sites, even if you don’t get a referral though me! They are both great. If sign up with my referral, be sure to shoot me an ask, because I will want to thank you and kiss your feet!